WHAT: People’s Climate Candidate Training
WHEN: April 30, 2017 8:30am-3:30pm
WHERE: Thurgood Marshall Center for Service and Heritage, 1816 12th St NW, Washington, DC 20009
Webinar: In the event that you’re unable to attend the training in D.C. there is an option to participate via a webinar. Please indicate that choice at the time of registration.
Overview: Join us for a day of building political power for the climate movement by training bold, progressive climate activists to elected office at all levels. Potential candidates need to be identified, recruited, trained, and supported in order to achieve elected office—and once there, held accountable by the climate movement.
This training is for you if:
- You consider running for office yourself in the next 1-3 years
- You want to help a friend run for office
- You want to learn how a local electoral strategy could help your campaign
Working with our partners, Climate Hawks Vote and Lead Locally have developed a curriculum to help climate activists launch the initial framework of an electoral campaign. Featuring elected climate champions and top progressive trainers, the training will help you take the energy of the March for Jobs, Justice and the Climate and turn it into real political power.
This one-day candidate training will be the first of many steps you can take to dismantle fossil-fueled oppression and build a just and sustainable society.
7:30 am Doors open
7:30 am Registration and Coffee
8:30 am Welcoming
9:00 am Opening Panel: Why Elections Matter & Why You Should Run
10:15 am Panel: Creating a New America through Solidarity: From Our Movements to Elections
11:15 am Overview of Hard Skills Trainings
11:30 am First Round of Hard Skills Training
12:45 pm Lunch / Online Exclusive: Q&A with Mayor Morgan Goodwin
1:25 pm Second Round of Hard Skills Training
- When will registration close? Once we have met the capacity for the facility where the training will occur.
- Do I have to register in order to attend? Registration is required in order to attend the training.
- Will food be provided? Yes, light breakfast and lunch will be provided throughout the day.
- Is it near a Metro stop? Yes, the U Street Metro stop and the Shaw Metro stop both on the green and yellow line.
- Am I allowed to bring guests to the training? We unfortunately only have accommodations for registered attendees.
- How do I find out about the People’s Climate Movement? Learn more at peoplesclimate.org.
- If I’m attending via webinar, do I have to register? Yes. In order to gain access to the online training, registration will be required.
- When do doors open? Doors open for the training at 7:30 am and the training will begin promptly at 8:30 am.
- If I’m on the West Coast, is it worth participating in the webcast? Yes! The livestream begins at 8:30 am Eastern and the campaign skills training sessions begin at 11:30 am. Webinar participants can join at that time and get a full interactive experience.
- Can press cover the event? Yes. Contact Jasmine Burney-Clark at email@example.com for more information.
- Can I volunteer? Yes! Please sign up.
If you have other questions or want to become a sponsor of the training, contact Jasmine Burney-Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Climate Hawks Vote
Communities for a Better Environment Action
Democracy for America
Food & Water Action Fund
Friends of the Earth Action
Oil Change USA
Progressive Change Campaign Committee
Progressive Democrats of America
United We Dream Action
Working Families Party