November 8, 2018
POSITION: Executive Director, Climate Hawks Vote (CHV)
Climate Hawks Vote Civic Action and its sister political action committee, Climate Hawks Vote Political Action, have spent the last three years building a national community committed to taking on the greatest challenge facing humanity: climate change.
Climate Hawks Vote is seeking a dynamic, entrepreneurial leader to take the helm of our feisty, growing organization, as it’s poised to make a bigger difference in the 2019-2020 election cycle.
Location and Travel
The Executive Director can be located anywhere in the continental U.S., but preference for candidates with locations reasonably accessible to Washington, DC. Some work travel will be required.
We believe climate change is a fundamental threat to the lives and livelihood of every human and future generations here in the United States and across the globe, with those living in vulnerable communities being hit first and worst from severe weather events.
We believe that bold action today by public officials — at all levels of government — are essential to addressing the threat posed by climate change.
We believe bold action to address climate change must be at a pace and scale consistent with what science tells us is necessary to maintain a safe climate for future generations.
We believe the solutions we need are here, but require political will to succeed.
We believe climate justice must be at the core of comprehensive plans to address climate change, ensuring that the costs of the necessary economic transition do not fall unfairly on those who can least afford it.
Our Vision: Our national, state, and local governments put in place bold, progressive actions to combat climate change, led by a diverse legion of individual “climate hawk” leaders who share our beliefs.
Our Mission: To identify, train, and elect individual “climate hawk” leaders, while generating a political environment in which those leaders have the power to advance policies needed to address climate change.
About the Role
Our Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and has overall strategic and operational responsibility for managing CHV Civic Action and CHV Political Action’s staff, programs, funding, finances, and execution of the shared mission.
Major areas of responsibility include:
- Fundraising through direct personal solicitations, assisting the board in its solicitations, and through digital organizing
- Financial management, including timely production of financial statements, budgets, and effective oversight of organizational bookkeeping and accounting
- Board governance, including timely communications and board engagement
- Implementation of organizational programs and strategies as spokesperson, via digital organizing, developing and maintaining coalitions, and oversight of the Political Director, Digital Communications Manager, and other future staff
- Operations and human resources, including legal affairs, vendor relationships, and staffing decisions
Desired Attributes and Skills:
- Impeccable written and in-person communications skills
- Comfortable working in a virtual office with a team working at a fast pace
- Self-starter with ambition to grow the political power of the climate movement
- Highly organized and willingness to roll-up-sleeves and do the detailed work necessary to run a small organization with a plan for significant growth
- Entrepreneurial, with passion for building infrastructure, not just programs
- Significant experience and skill with fundraising through relationship management and personal solicitations
- Experience with campaigns, with preference for candidates with both advocacy and electoral campaign experience
- Preference for candidates with existing networks of contacts within the climate and/or cleantech & clean energy movements
Salary is expected to fall between $75,000 and $95,000/year and will be established based on the experience, skill-set, and location of the applicant.
Email a cover letter and a resume to EDSearch@ClimateHawksVote.Com
Applications will be accepted at least until November 27 and then on a rolling basis until a hiring decision is made.
Climate Hawks Vote is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications from women, people of color, and other historically marginalized groups are highly encouraged