Climate Hawks Vote Civic Action and its sister political action committee, Climate Hawks Vote Political Action, have spent the last six years demanding that public officials — at all levels of government — address the threat posed by climate change. We help elect, hold accountable, and build political space for climate hawk leaders. Climate Hawks Vote is seeking an organized and creative digital leader to fill the critical role of part-time Digital Director on this small staff.
In coordination with the Executive Director and Political Director, the Digital Director will help identify and then lead on the implementation of digital campaigns and associated software on behalf of Climate Hawks Vote and Climate Hawks Vote Civic Action. This is a remote/virtual position and candidates can be located anywhere, but must have some overlap with Pacific Standard Time.
Salary & Benefits
We’ll pay you $2500/month for 20 hours per week (schedule 10 am-2 pm PT but this is flexible). You will receive a Health Reimbursement Arrangement benefit covering the cost of health insurance (or other direct health expenses) up to $437.50/ month, upon submitting proof of coverage, but we are considering an in-house insurance option as well. Your employment will include 3 weeks of paid vacation per year, ten sick days per year, and a standard set of paid holidays (January 1, MLK Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and the day afterward, and Christmas). If you would prefer to work on the paid holidays and substitute alternative days off, that level of flexibility can be provided as well.
Major Areas of Responsibility
General Digital Communications – Social (approximately 10% of time)
- Keep CHV Facebook Account up to date with campaign announcements, the occasional Story, and relevant posts (about 3-4/weekly)
- General updates as appropriate to the website to keep it up-to-date
Graphic Design in Canva (approximately 10% of time )
- Design Facebook/Twitter images for campaigns in Canva (this is not an advanced graphic design program–anyone can learn it)
- Design Email banners and graphics to spice up email campaigns
Email Advocacy and Fundraising (approximately 50% of time)
- In concert with the Political Director, identify online advocacy campaigns and political action opportunities
- Draft advocacy and electoral campaign emails, petitions, surveys, etc
- Draft fundraising emails for both CHV Civic Action and CHV Political Action
- Stage, test, and send emails, petitions, surveys, etc. and report on results
- Create ActBlue pages for CHV Civic Action, CHV Political Action, and CHV-endorsed candidates
- Coordinate with allied organizations over joint petitions and list swaps
- Incorporate A/B testing to the extent feasible into advocacy and fundraising work, and make recommendations for improvement on engagement, deliverability, and fundraising
- Regularly respond to and manage the reply-to email inbox
Database & Software Management (EveryAction & ActBlue, Approximately 20% of time)
- Manage bulk uploads and/or tagging of lists as generated through advocacy and list swaps on Action Network
- Regularly import, match, and deduplicate contributions from ActBlue into EveryAction, applying donor tags so that data may be used in EveryAction
- Perform yearly maintenance (such as clearing off inactive users) on all platforms: Website (WordPress), EveryAction, ActBlue, Action Network, and Gsuite/Drive
Planning/Alignment (Approximately 10%)
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and occasional board meetings
- In concert with the Political Director, develop longer-term plans for improvement of the CHV online footprint (email list, social media, etc.) and fundraising
In concert with the Political Director, identify and vet potential shifts in CHV digital tools as circumstances and budgets make advisable
Desired Attributes and Skills
- 3 years experience as a digital communicator, including writing for advocacy and fundraising
- Experience creating simple graphics in Canva
- Comfortable working on a small team, in a virtual office, in a political environment that requires rapid shifts and spurts of work
- Experience with electoral campaigns is a plus
- Experience managing a large database of email subscribers with contribution data
- Demonstrated interest in addressing climate change
- Basic understanding of climate and climate justice-related issue and political and grassroots organizing space is a big plus
This position reports to Political Director RL Miller.
How to Apply
- Please send an email with your resume attached to jay[at]climatehawksvote.com. Please also include no more than 150 words in the email body telling us a bit about yourself and why you’re the person for this role. You do not need to write a cover letter–please do not do that
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until a hiring decision is made
Climate Hawks Vote is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from women, people of color, and other historically marginalized groups are highly encouraged.