POSITION: Organizing Director, Climate Hawks Vote (CHV)
LOCATION: United States
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Rolling until hired
POTENTIAL START DATE: Immediate
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time permanent; shorter-term contract possible
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications
Climate Hawks Vote is building a national community willing to take on the greatest challenge facing the next few generations of humanity. We need aggressive, progressive champions of climate justice—climate hawks. We work to engage and educate voters, advocate on climate change in general election contests, and back climate hawks in Democratic primaries. We engage and train younger climate hawks interested in running for office. We work on campaigns to mobilize the American people and our elected officials to act aggressively to end greenhouse pollution and build a renewably powered, just society that is resilient to the threats of a changing climate.
We are seeking an Organizing Director to help us achieve our mission of building grassroots power to make serious climate action a defining political issue for the Democratic Party and the nation.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Organizing Director oversees the organization’s member-driven vision. The hire works closely with the Executive Director (ED) and Political Director (PD) to achieve electoral and policy campaign victories through online and real-world member empowerment. The Organizing Director also oversees leadership training for members, staff, and candidates.
This hire will be in a unique position to develop the ethos, culture, and practices of a fast-growing, member-driven, justice-oriented organization.
- Develop and execute strategies to develop members as trained and effective volunteers
- Working with the ED and PD, develop and implement a strategy for supporting members to form local and state-based affiliate organizations
- Working with the PD, oversee hiring and management of field campaigners for independent-expenditure field organizing in support of endorsed candidates
- Working with field campaigners, mobilize local CHV members in support of endorsed candidates
- Mobilize national members in GOTV phone banking, research, and other volunteer opportunities
- Build relationships with allies to expand the reach and effectiveness of our campaigns
- Integrate fundraising into member outreach
- Commitment to democratic mobilization and justice
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in grassroots organizing
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in political campaigning
- Experience in supporting volunteer self-organization through online tools such as Slack strongly preferred
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Superb organizational, interpersonal, and problem-solving abilities and capacity to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience and comfort with a virtual work environment
This position reports to the Executive Director of CHV Civic Action. The organization is a virtual office.
Climate Hawks Vote is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, low-income persons, LGBT persons, differently-abled people, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.